Based on the passive self-stable HTS Maglev conceived in 2000, a 45-m-long high-temperature superconducting Maglev evacuated tube transport (HTS Maglev-ETT) test system was successfully developed. The system mainly consists of three parts: an HTS Maglev-vehicle-guideway coupling system with 1-t load capability at a levitation gap of 10 mm, a 45-m-long racetrack-type evacuated tube with a 2-m-diameter circular cross section pumped by a hybrid air extraction system, and a 3-m linear induction motor to provide sectional propulsion. The system can achieve a pressure as low as 2.9 kPa in the tube. Experiments show that air drag on the vehicle is greatly reduced at that low air pressure, and a maximum speed of 50 km/h was recorded on the 6-m-diameter test guideway. Theoretically, the reduction of the aerodynamic consumed power could reach as high as to 90% under 10 kPa. This “Super-Maglev” strongly demonstrates the feasibility and potential merits of the HTS Maglev-ETT transportation concept.
● Test the HTS Maglev vehicle system: The second generation HTS maglev vehicle system, as an independent core system of the whole vehicle track, lays a good foundation for the systematic expansion into a comprehensive HTS maglev vehicle system.
● Test the feasibility of the HTS Maglev-ETT concept: This test system demonstrates the feasibility of the HTS Maglev-ETT concept and its obvious virtues, for instance, low resistance, low power consumption, and low pollution, and proposes a potential solution for hypervelocity transportation exceeding 600 km/h in the future.
Main technical parameters:
● PMG: 45 m permanent magnet double-track composed of two 3.6 m straight-lines and two 6-m-radius curve-lines
● Levitation height: 10~20 mm
● Load capability: 300 kg
● Propulsion mode: One sectional 3-m long linear induction motor
● Maximum drive force: 150 N
● Maximum acceleration: 0.5 m/s2
● Maximum speed: 25 km/h (with one passenger); 50 km/h (only vehicle frame)
● Vacuum degree: 1-0.1 atm (the diameter of the evacuated tube is designed as 2 m.)